The day after Robert Mueller’s team called a butt load of witnesses, Manafort’s defense rested, having called zero witnesses in his trial for fraud and money laundering.
In my humble opinion, Manafort is trying to present an image of confidence that the prosecution failed to prove its case — and failed. In reality, it appears that the defense was worried about Mueller’s team being able to cross-examine their super-duper honest witnesses.
Anyhoo, I feel safe making the blindingly obvious prediction that tRump, while he’s not using his “executive time” to scrub away the stink of flopsweat, will be frantically tweeting more misspelled batshit insane “thoughts” than usual. Maybe bring in Hannity for a soothing tongue bath…
Consider this your open thread!
: : : : : : : : : :
Former top aides to President George W. Bush agreed Wednesday to testify before Congress under oath about the firings of U.S. attorneys, a controversy involving allegations of political interference that became a major issue in Bush’s second term.
The Bush White House had fought attempts to force Karl Rove and Harriet Miers to testify, and the agreement — steered by aides to President Barack Obama — ended that constitutional standoff with Congress. Both the White House and lawmakers, especially now that Democrat Obama has replaced Republican Bush — were leery of having a judge settle the question about the limits of executive privilege, for fear of losing.
The agreement calls for Rove and Miers, Bush’s top political adviser and White House counsel, to testify before the House Judiciary Committee in closed depositions “under the penalty for perjury,” said House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich. The committee says it also might call the two for public testimony.
The arrangement ends a lawsuit over whether former White House aides could be forced to testify about matters on which they advised the president. Bush had ordered Rove and Miers not to testify in the U.S. attorneys investigation, and the Judiciary Committee sued a year ago.
So they stopped the lawsuit.. Will their testimony be made public? Will it even be challenged? They had better not offer them immunity…
It is time for truth, transparency, and above all, accountability. Especially when it comes to Karl Rove.
This little item demonstrates how the wheels of justice turn, slowly! At least this serviceman knew that he did not die in disgrace! 64 years of dishonor was a bit harsh!
By Christian Hill, The Olympian, via Truthout:
1st Lt. Ehren Watada may not be tried a second time on charges of missing troop movement and conduct unbecoming an officer. A US District Court Judge has imposed a temporary injunction barring the Army from trying Watada again.
Fort Lewis, Washington – 1st Lt. Ehren Watada, the Fort Lewis officer who refused to deploy to Iraq last year, might never see another courtroom.
U.S. District Judge Benjamin Settle on Thursday imposed a preliminary injunction to temporarily bar the Army from trying Watada a second time while saying the officer likely will prevail on the merits of his pending case.
Since his first court-martial ended in mistrial in February, Watada’s lawyers have argued that trying him a second time would violate his Fifth Amendment protection from being tried for the same offense twice. On Oct. 3, as Watada’s appeals in the military court system were being exhausted, his attorneys took the rare step of asking a federal civilian court to step in.
Settle granted Watada’s request for an emergency stay of the second court-martial, scheduled to begin Oct. 9, to allow him time to review the extensive legal arguments presented lawyers representing Watada and the Army. The injunction would be enforced pending the court’s decision on Watada’s claim.
The Army plans on filing written arguments showing a second court-martial wouldn’t violate Watada’s Constitutional rights.
This should be interesting.