The “War on Drugs” is a complete failure.
This video is 58+ minutes so you may want to watch it when you have the time.
Some highlights from the video:
- The illegal drug business is a $320 billion dollar industry.
- The US has less than 5% of the world’s population and 25% of the world’s incarcerated poplution.
- George H.W. Bush stated that if you use drugs, “you will be punished”.
- The War on Drugs has created a mass prison-industrial complex.
- Population of US prisoners:
- 1970 = 330,000
- 2012 = 2.3 million
- More than any other country in the world.
- Drugs are prevalent in prisons.
- Governments try to stifle demand by advertising which has failed because:
- People that use drugs like drugs.
- People can see through the hypocrisy of legal alcohol/cigarettes/drugs vs. illegal drugs.
- There are approximately 230 million world wide drugs users of which 90% are unproblematic.
- President Carter went to Congress and requested to have drugs decriminalized.
- 1979 – 10 states started the process to decriminalize (ME, NY, OH, NC, MS, MN, CO, OR, CA, AK).
- Reagan put a stop to decriminalization and Nancy Reagan’s role in government was her anti-drug campaign of “Just Say No.”
- 2009 – 1.6 million people were arrested and 1.3 million of those arrests were just for drugs with 1/2 of those arrests just for marijuana.
- If drugs were legalized and regulated in the US, it would add $76 billion to the US economy.
At the 37 minute mark in the film, a world wide discussion begins on solutions to the “War on Drugs”.
Sign the petition here.
This is our Open Thread and reflects my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of other members of The Zoo. Now it is your turn to Speak Up!