It’s hard to believe that in this day and age, 40+ years after women’ “burned their bras” and protested for equality, that inequality still exists in the workplace. This is shameful and here are 10 businesses that pay women the least.
10. Retail Trade; “The retail trade industry involves everything from automobile dealers, to electronics stores such as RadioShack and major department stores such as Walmart, which is currently fighting the largest sex discrimination lawsuit in US history. Etc…”
9. Wholesale Trade; “This industry includes wholesalers of lumber and other construction materials, machinery, electronics, and groceries. Etc…”
8. Public Administration; “Even within the government sector, women make significantly less than men. This sector involves positions across the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government. Etc…”
7. Information; “The information industry includes media, communications, and publishing companies. Etc…”
6. Utilities; “Companies in this industry provide services such as electric power, natural gas, steam and water, and the removal of sewage. Etc…”
5. Durable Goods; “Durable goods refer to long-lasting products such as metals, machinery, computers, electrical equipment, and motor vehicles. Roughly one in every three workers in this industry is a women. Etc…”
4. Non-durable Goods; “The nondurable goods sector includes production of food, tobacco, paper, petroleum, and coal products. While female workers are more common in the nondurable goods manufacturing sector than in the durable goods industry, with roughly one women for every two men, the pay disparity between genders is greater. Etc…”
3. Health Care and Social Assistance; “The health care and social assistance industry consists of companies which provide medical care, health care, and social assistance, as well as professionals such as physicians and dentists. Etc…”
2. Professional and Technical Services; “The professional, scientific, and technical services industry includes law, accounting and design firms. The fact that women in this industry are paid so much less money for their services is surprising, especially considering their improved representation. Etc…”
1. Finance and Insurance; “This industry includes companies in the banking, savings institutions, credit unions, investments, and insurance industries. This sector pays women by far the least amount in comparison to their male counterparts. Etc…”
Read all the statistics and further details here. Some of this information may surprise you. There’s a trend in all this which is evident in the article.
This is our Open Thread. I’ve said enough. It’s your turn to Speak Out!